Did I ever tell you that I’m related to Steve Jobs?
If you were to google “Jandali” the first thing that comes up is this…
So why am I telling you this?
Because one of the questions I get a lot is how can you build credibility and get known as an expert in your field if you’re still in the beginning stages of your business.
And one of my favourite ways is through association. People are wired to make connections in their mind, so why not plant seeds of association in your prospects minds with intent. Why not select who and what you want to associate yourself and your brand with.
Here’s 7 Ways to Build Credibility and Get Seen as the Expert
1. Give results in advance. Help people by actually helping people. Share tips, value and support to help your ideal clients solve an immediate problem they are facing. Collect and showcase testimonials, case studies and raving reviews.
Example: Let’s say you are a PR/Media Specialist. You could give tips on how to get published in a well-known publication. When people follow your tips and get published, they’ll relate that win back to you and won’t only be singing your highest praises, but will be much more likely to invest in your services and have faith in knowing you can help them.
2. Create versus consume content. This is the killer of most female coaches and online business owners. Staying in the learning and consuming phase far too long. As if preparing themselves for their break, rather than just leaping and making their break to success.
Example: Even if you don’t have an audience or an email list you can still create content and share it in places like Facebook groups to start getting known as an expert in your area of expertise.
Need help with how to navigate Facebook groups?
3. Through association. Align yourself with other leaders in your industry, celebrities or publications. Do you see how I did that in this article?
Example: Get featured as a guest expert on a tele-summit or speaking event or sign up for sites like Help a Reporter Out (HARO) and throw your hat into the ring to get featured. You can also get featured as a guest blogger for sites likes Huffington Post, Elephant Journal, YFS, Mind Body Green or other industry specific publications relevant to your niche.
4. Piggy back trending news. Know what topics are trending and align your message with those hot topics.
Example: Follow social media trends, NY Times breaking news, alltop.com or boingboing.net and piggy back the trending stories and headlines by relating it back to your brand.
5. Get into the conversation already in your prospect’s head. Verbalize and articulate the conversation already taking place in your prospect’s head; better than they can themselves and you’ll have their full attention.
Example: Instead of saying I’m a business coach and leading with a title. Think about your prospect and what’s keeping her up at night. Enter the conversation already in her head….
Maybe it’s…I don’t know what I’m going to do. I need to get clients and I need to get them FAST. And I need them consistently, otherwise, I’m going to be stuck in this job f-o-r-e-v-e-r.
6. Be controversial. Emotion is what fuels action, that’s why people buy on emotion. It triggers them to do something. So take a stand. Create controversy. Be unapologetically you. Bring your people together and forget the rest. If you aren’t attracting the right people and repelling the wrong people, then you aren’t doing your job in taking a stand for what you believe in.
Example: I stand for ______. I stand against _____. Who’s with me?
Celebrate your unsubscribes. I gave a client my template to write an email to book discovery calls using this tip. She sent out the email to her small list. She got 6 people to book discovery calls. She signed her first 2 clients out of that. And she had 7 unsubscribes.
The unsubscribes freaked her out a bit. But when we looked back at her previous emails attempting to book discovery calls, she didn’t get unsubscribes, but she was lucky to get just one discovery call booking request, if any.
7. Use sound bytes. Get known for using certain phrases that you use over and over again to get brand recognition. These could be stats, stories, statistics or acronyms. Weaving these into your conversations will get you noticed.
Example: Trump saying “Make America great again”
That sound byte evokes emotion. It tells a story with few words. And that’s why it’s been quoted all over the media.
Now don’t let this just be another blog post you read and do nothing with.
Here’s your action step: Pick one of the ways above then take at least one action step that will move forward in being recognized as the expert you are.
Want more help? Swipe my step by step 4 week Facebook Marketing Strategy that will have you building credibility, standing out from the crowd and making sales even if you don’t have a following or a list to start with.
P.S. Check out this training: 7 Ways to Build Credibility and Get Seen as the Expert Video Training